(305) 238-2729



History

1996

SFYS moved To Miami Dade College North Campus, at the invitation of John Alexander, Ken Boos and the Administration.

1994

SFYS  moved To St. Martha’s parish, in Miami Shores

1994

Educator, band master, George Walters joined SFYS as Associate Conductor

1993

Second" Carnegie Hall" Performance

1988

First Performance in "Carnegie Hall ", New York

1987

Dayna Turner joins SFYS as Associate conductor

1985

Marjorie Hahn assumes as lead Conductor of SFYS

1971

Marjorie Gould /Hahn  joins with the SFYS as Associate Conductor with Peter Fuchs

1970

Untimely Death of  Maestro Carmen Nappo

1969

Peter Fuchs joins Carmen Nappo as Associate Conductor

1965

January 24th- 1st Concert of the SFYS  at the North Miami Beach Auditorium .. a converted basketball court  that had floor chairs and bleachers. The concerts were all  FREE and totally filled to capacity..they were free to the public  seating was 1500

1964

SFYS board and Mr. Nappo Moved the organization to the unfinished  4th floor of the North Miami Beach City Hall, under the sponsorship of Mayor Dan Diefenbach  with storage space in the small room adjacent to the top floor room.

1964

Mayor Dan Diefenbach offered to sponsor the SFYS at the City hall of North Miami Beach

1964

Carmen Nappo opted to withdraw from the Biscayne Gardens Women’s Community Center  rather than exclude Black students from the SFYS. Moved temporarily to the City of North Miami community center.

1964

Interracial objections arose from the Woman’s club at Biscayne Women’s Club

1964

First rehearsals of the SFYS began at the Biscayne Gardens Community  "Woman's" Center

1964

Carmen Nappo saw the fine talent of Marjorie her sister Janice and their friends at North Miami Sr. High , with no place to learn or play the classical literature, so the south Florida Youth Symphony was founded, for all talented south Florida Musicians .

Comments are closed.