The 55 year old South Florida Youth Symphony, offers a progressive training program for all instruments, to all students. All new orchestra ready students must audition. CALL for an appointment on SUNDAY'S at Miami Dade College North Campus Building 5000
see: Audition Requirements and Openings CALL AHEAD FOR YOUR SPECIFIC APPOINTMENT TIME ! 305-238-2729
Students at the intermediate and advanced levels should attempt to use the All State and Honors audition materials, check the FBA and FOA websites.
Youth Symphony Orchestra– For the “Advanced"player
Existing Students must get the approval of Symphonia teacher first if auditioning to move up to the Youth Symphony
- Student must show a high level of ability on their instrument, play in tune, tune their instrument effectively
- A prepared solo of students choice, preferably a concerto movement (shifting to upper positions)
- A technical study written for the specific instrument, can be from the All State requirements
- All major scales & arpeggios MEMORIZED 3 octaves where applicable two will be chosen up to 4 flats and sharps
- Short Sight reading excerpts of orchestral repertoire will be given.
Symphonia String Chamber Orchestra
Existing Student MUST have the approval of class teacher to move up to the next level
- A prepared solo of students choice showing ability to shift into 3rd position
- A short etude showing the students technical ability
- Two octave major scales MEMORIZED of F,Bb,Eb,D,G,C,A (shifting required) two will be chosen
- Short sight reading orchestral excerpts will be given.
String Consort Orchestra (entry level orchestra)
- One octave scales of G, D, A and E in tune, can be read, but memorized is better
- A solo piece of the students choice showing your technical and lyrical ability , demonstration of music reading skills,\
- Short sight reading literature given at the audition.This is an important aspect of graduating into an orchestra, to be able to play parts, instead of unison, with all the other players in the group.